TIEMS Korea Chapter
Status of the Organization
Purpose of Establishment
The Korean Society of Disaster and Security (KSDS) promotes the academic and technological development in the areas of disaster and safety. The purpose of the organization is to secure the social safety continuity through protection of people from disaster.
KSDS enhances stability and convenience of national infrastructure by establishing the Disaster Prevention and Safety Standards in the public and private sectors.
Legal Basis of Establishment
Civil Law code section 32 (Establishment and Permission of Non-profit Organization) scholarship, religion, charity, handcrafts and other non-profit purposed private organization or foundation can be granted a permit by a competent authority to claim itself a corporate body.
Competent Authority: Ministry of Public Safety and Security
Establishment Date: January 26th, 2007
Characteristic of the Organization
In order to protect civil life and property from disasters, the organization has been founded under the name of the Korean Society of Disaster Management Standards.
In January 2007, it academically integrates with natural, social, cultural sciences to define and spread disaster management standards domestically and internationally for the purpose of disaster resilience.
Since October in 2009, we joined the International Emergency Management Society (TIEMS) as a Korea Chapter and participated in symposiums around the globe, mainly about various disasters in global society.
On September 30th 2013, the organization has been renamed as the Korean Society of Disaster and Security. We currently lead academic research activities on disaster management, disaster resilience, and risk management with experts in disaster prevention and safety fields. We have participated in disaster prevention and safety forums for twenty times, and held the Hazard Safety Training Education Forum every year since November 2014. By conducting academic research and consultation of setting agenda needed for disaster resilience, risk management, and disaster management, we are supporting the Ministry of Public Safety and Security about their agenda settings.
In the case of social issues such as the sinking of Sewol ferry in April 2014, we seek ways of coordinating public and private sector to encourage social consensus through disaster prevention and safety forums; When various forms of disaster, risk, and hazard occur, we open forum, special seminar, and workshop about improving law and system to devise a method for tackling down issues with industrial experts.
The organization conducts academic research activities in the field of natural disaster and social disaster including fire, maritime, and social safety and cooperates with other organizations such as the Ministry of Public Safety and Security, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. We dedicate to society by proposing the importance of agenda setting for disaster resilience, risk management, risk management manual, and restoration system. We ensure civil life and property by increasing awareness about public safety through broadcasting.
Status of Members
Approximately 450 members (※Main sectors of members : natural, social disaster, landslide, slope hazard, damage from storm and flood, prevention of tsunami, the ground, special disaster, disaster prevention business, BCM, earthquake, fire, gas, social safety, and other field related to disaster)
Status of board members:
60 members (Chairman: 1, Vice-chairman: 7, Personnel of general affairs: 2, Head of research institute: 1, Advisor: 2, members of board of director: 47)
- Establishment of the disaster prevention and safety standards and development of terminologies in the public and private sectors.
- Research and investigation on the development of disasters, hazards, and safety technologies.
- Publication of journals, research papers, and books regarding disaster prevention and safety management.
- Holding research conferences, lectures, workshops, and exhibitions about disaster prevention and safety management.
- Conducting consignment research, consultation, and academic evaluation programs regarding disaster prevention and safety management.
- Exchange and attendance on domestic and international academic conferences.
- The introduction of ISO disaster prevention and safety management standards.
- Establishment and operation of the disaster prevention and safety management research institute.
- Establishment and operation of the education and training center for disaster prevention and safety management.
- Businesses for achieving the goal of the organization.
- TIEMS (The International Emergency Management Society) Korea Chapter (Korean Head Quarter)
- Emergency response and risk management research society
- Holding disaster prevention and safety forums for twenty times, Establishment of Hazard Safety Training Education Forum twice.
- Holding symposiums and publishing collection of dissertation for every year.
For interest, contact Dr. Jaekwon Kim at:
TIEMS Korea Chapter Web-site: